Despite the importance of science in educational environments, the economy, and technological development; the true exploration of the subject takes a backseat in the United States. Communities have no direct involvement in the process of science with the majority of popular understanding coming from media. Media attention to most scientists is minimal, while many of the debates that do take place revolve around areas where there is actually no scientific debate- such as climate change, evolution, and vaccinations. Science must find a way to regain its position within the popular discourse in a meaningful and empowering way.
But gaining a better position is not about reinforcing the established scientific apparatus; instead, the role of the general public must be increased, not through opinion, but participation. Indie Lab RVA will fill this role by providing:
1) The tools of science to learn and apply.
2) Novel education materials, created to cover the diversity of science and be distributed freely.
3) A center to gather, discuss, learn, build, research, and innovate.
4) A community interested in promoting better scientific opportunities and a better world.
5) A model to be applied in our community, state, nation, and world that makes science empowering as much as it is enlightening.
|Monthly Donation Options|